Intellectual Property Rights and Reuse Permissions for Content on AIDSvideos.org
AIDSvideos.org creates its own scripts and videos presenting those scripts. These scripts and videos created by AIDSvideos.org are referred to here as "AIDSvideos.org scripts and videos."
How to Identify AIDSvideos.org Scripts and Videos
- An "AIDSvideos.org script" is any of the scripts listed and linked to on the Translate page.
- An "AIDSvideos.org scripted video" is a video presentation of one
of the AIDSvideos.org scripts.
- An "AIDSvideos.org unscripted video" is a video created by AIDSvideos.org that was not scripted in advance (i.e. for which there is no script listed on the Translate page). This includes interviews, testimonials, extemperaneous statements, etc.
- An "AIDSvideos.org video" is any video created by AIDSvideos.org (including both the "AIDSvideos.org scripted videos" and the "AIDSvideos.org unscripted videos"). It can be identified because it will include the phrase "AIDSvideos.org presents:" on the title screen and/or "An AIDSvideos.org Production" in the credits.
Permission to Host, Copy, and Redistribute AIDSvideos.org Scripts and Videos As-Is for Noncommercial Purposes
The AIDSvideos.org scripts and AIDSvideos.org videos are available at no charge for copying, hosting, redistribution, and playing for noncommercial purposes under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States license.
Permission for Broadcast and Cable Television Operators to Broadcast, Play, and Distribute AIDSvideos.org Scripts and Videos
Public and commercial broadcast and cable television operators are authorized to broadcast, play, and distribute AIDSvideos.org scripts and videos as-is at no charge.
Permission to Make Complete, Accurate Translations of "AIDSvideos.org Scripts" and "AIDSvideos.org Scripted Videos"
AIDSvideos.org will grant permission for others to make translations of the AIDSvideos.org scripts and/or videos at no charge so long as all of the following conditions are satisfied for each translation:
- Advance Notification: The
translator must notify AIDSvideos.org in advance of their intent to
translate the script by sending an email to the contact email address
for AIDSvideos.org listed on the Contact page.
- Nothing Added or Removed: The translation must be complete. In the target language, it must present the same ideas in the same order as the original script in the source language. No ideas may be added or removed.
- Accurate Translation: The translation must be a faithful enough rendering of the original script in the target language that a reasonable observer with native fluency in both the source language and the target language would deem it to be an accurate translation of the original script.
- Scientifically and Medically
Accurate: The translation must be scientifically and medically
accurate. All information presented in the translated script must be
consistent with the latest, most up-to-date research findings in Tier 1
peer-reviewed scientific and medical journals. Where study results
differ on a specific issue, a weighted average shall be used where
newer results are weighted more heavily than older results and
more-cited papers are weighted more heavily than less-cited papers.
Articles published in Nature Biotechnology during the editorial tenure
of Harvey Bialy are specifically disqualified from use.
- Final Draft Notification: The translator must notify AIDSvideos.org when they believe the translation is in "final draft" state and ready for final review.
- Opportunity for Final Draft
Review by AIDSvideos.org: The translator must send an email to
the contact email address for AIDSvideos.org listed on the Contact page with the
script attached and provide a thirty day review period during which
AIDSvideos.org has the opportunity to review the final draft written
script. (Flat text or Adobe PDF formats are preferred for review.) It
is the intent of AIDSvideos.org to review submitted final drafts as
quickly as possible and generally in less than thirty days, but if
necessary, thirty days must be provided for review.
- Changes as Specified by AIDSvideos.org: Translator agrees to make any changes reasonably deemed necessary by AIDSvideos.org for purposes including but not limited to scientific and medical accuracy before the script is deemed "finished" and is permitted to be posted on the Internet or filmed. Approval for release of a scientifically and medically accurate translation shall not be unreasonably withheld.
- Legal Disclaimer: The
finished translation must include the following legal disclaimer: "This
script was created by [translator name] who is solely responsible for
its content. It is intended to be a scientifically and medically
accurate translation of the original [language name] language script
'[original script title]' from AIDSvideos.org."
- Permission for Others to Use and Distribute: The translator must grant permission for others (including but not limited to AIDSvideos.org) to reuse the finished script (and any video of it being presented) under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States license. (The translator is also free to make the finished script and video available under other license(s) of their own choosing as well.)
- Provide Copy of Finished Script and Finished Video to AIDSvideos.org: The translator must provide AIDSvideos.org with electronic copies of the finished script and the finished video in commonly used, cleartext, unencrypted, DRM-free formats that AIDSvideos.org is able to use and make available to others.
- Permission for Others to Translate: The translator must permit others (including but not limited to AIDSvideos.org) to make translations of the finished translation into other languages under the same terms that the translation itself was created.
- Executive Director of AIDSvideos.org is Sole and Final Arbiter of Any Disputes: Eric Krock, the Executive Director of AIDSvideos.org, will make the sole and final determination whether a given script and/or video has satisfied all of the above terms and conditions, and the translator agrees in advance to be bound by his decision and to not use, publish, or distribute a script or video translated from or derived from an AIDSvideos.org script and/or video, and to destroy all copies of the translation and/or derivative work if so directed.
AIDSvideos.org does not yet have a formal written license that expresses the above terms and conditions for doing a translation, but it is our intent to identify or create such a license. When we do, we will make that license available on our web site (or link to it) and make all of our scripts available for translation under the terms of that license.
AIDSvideos.org does NOT grant advance permission for commercial uses of the "AIDSvideos.org Scripts" and/or the "AIDSvideos.org videos" other than to the broadcast and cable television operators noted above. However, it is our intent to grant permission at no charge for reasonable commercial use of the "AIDSvideos.org Scripts" and/or the "AIDSvideos.org videos." If you wish to make commercial use of "AIDSvideos.org Scripts" and/or "AIDSvideos.org videos," contact AIDSvideos.org and explain what you want to do.
AIDSvideos.org does NOT grant advance permission to make derivative works from the "AIDSvideos.org Scripts" and/or the "AIDSvideos.org videos." This is principally because of the possibility that HIV denialists or others acting in bad faith might attempt to create derivative works that are scientifically and/or medically inaccurate.
However, there may be situations where a translator wishes to make minor modifications. For example, new discoveries may have been published in Tier 1 scientific or medical journals since the script was written, or best practice recommendations from official organizations such as the WHO, UNAIDS, NIH, or CDC may have been updated. A translator may wish to make reasonable additions or changes to ensure that the translation is appropriate for the target language or culture. There may also be situations where a person wishes to create a scientifically and medically accurate derivative work that is significantly different in scope, goal, or audience than the original work.
If you wish to create a scientifically and medically accurate derivative work, contact AIDSvideos.org and explain what you want to do. It is our intent to grant permission for the creation of scientifically and medically accurate derivative works made in good faith, but explicit advance permission must be obtained from AIDSvideos.org for each and every such derivative work.
Permission to Link to AIDSvideos.org Videos, and Occasional Updates to AIDSvideos.org Videos
Permission is granted for anyone to link to AIDSvideos.org videos from their own web site. Be aware that AIDSvideos.org may update our own original videos from time to time. When we do this, the URL of the video on Google Video and the Open Media Network will change, so any links directly to the older version of the video will break at that time. If you want to avoid this problem, just link to the top level web site http://www.AIDSvideos.org/.
AIDSvideos.org Links to Videos Created by Others
The AIDSvideos.org web site also links to videos produced by others. The rights holders of these videos determine whether and under what conditions those videos may be used or distributed. Contact the rights holders of these videos if you wish to use or distribute them.
AIDSvideos.org Hosting of Videos Created by Others
In some cases, AIDSvideos.org has been given permission by others to put their videos on the Internet by publishing them to video sharing sites like YouTube and Archive.org. The rights holders of these videos determine whether and under what conditions those videos may be used or distributed. Contact the rights holders of these videos if you wish to use or distribute them.